Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Broken Bone!!!



Well, knowing the fact that we have three boys and that the oldest is 6.5, we were bound for some sort of casting injury sooner or later...I just never thought it would occur from an accident that involved my husband or myself!!! I had always envisioned a broken arm from falling off a bike, or a broken leg from trying to be an acrobat or learning that they really can' t fly like Super Man!!! This break for us will be number two in our family.....the first was a tiny hairline fracture in Isaac's elbow from being shoved off a bunk bed by his brother....It healed very quickly and they never had to do anything for it outside of a little ice and some ibuprofen. Really, the next day he seemed all fine! I think the only lasting impact on him was that his desire to sleep on the top bunk disappeared completely.......The number two break made family history for the Mills this Sunday morning as we trudged through bitter temperatures to attend our nephews baby blessing. The blessing was very nice and all was going well until we left the church house to go and have a family breakfast at Charlie's sisters house. It was so icy and cold out from a storm that blew through on Friday night...Charlie got Bridger from the van and decided to carry him in as there were large ditches and gutters full of ice and snow and we didn't want to lose him in one of those! Just walking along (on inches of ice by the way!) and there was Charlie and then there was screaming and Bridger's head bouncing off of the concrete in the driveway as I watched helplessly in shock! As a mother bear would, I believe I had Bridger scooped up in my arms even before Charlie had finished falling all the way...his head hit so hard and the intense feeling of hurt that coursed through my body and that little(i shouldn;t say little but so goes the saying I suppose) feeling in my gut told me that something was very wrong! 
Just to give a little history here....Bridger was born 10 wks early and as such he truly has been our toughest little guy yet! He is also tough because he is the youngest of three boys. Generally, Bridger could smash a finger in a door, or skin his knee, or hit his head on a table or sharp corner and cry for a second, then he will get mad because it interuppted was he was trying to accomplish and about 30-60 seconds after the event he will be playing or doing whatever it was that he was doing prior to the injury. 
Okay, so on with the story....after about 10 minutes of his screaming ( i mean that literally) we decided to take him into instacare for fear of a head injury. He would cry and say "Done, Done, Done with hurt". We arrived there and were greeted by a nurse who said "oh, he is just fine...this happens all the time!" Well, I am glad that I don't live at her house because this has never happened at our house before....Then we are taken to a room where a doctor comes in and looks at his eyes, in his ears,  rubs his head a little and says " He is fine, just fine, He is just mad about falling still" Knowing my child, only the way that a mother could, I wanted to slap him in the face!!! ( By the way, Bridger remained crying and saying hurt, done! the entire time all of this occured) The doctor started to head out the door and turned around and said " Here, just have him walk back and forth between you and your husband and then you will see that he is just fine!" Bridger had not let me go since I scooped him from the ground after the fall and he wanted nothing to do with Daddy....he is nobody's dummy! So Charlie took him from me because then we knew he would walk to me because he wanted me and only me. So, he starts to put him on the floor and Bridger starts screaming and shaking like i have never seen before but his desire to get to me was so strong he began to step and totally buckled in tears! At that point, I really wanted to kick that doctor in the pants. He shook his head, told us to take off his pants like we were inconvieniencing him and as soon as the pants slid off his leg was swollen and red from the knee to the ankle. He ordered xrays and sure enough a fracture to his fibula had occurred. That is the smaller of the two bones that are in the leg below the knee and runs along the outside portion of your leg. By the time the first set of rays were done, Bridgers foot had doubled in size and turned purple. So, the doctor ordered another set of rays for his foot and his femur. He couldn't read the results and had to send them for a radiologist to examine and we won't hear until the morning....there were another series of events that I won't go into detail over but man, that doctor need to go on a vacation or find a new vocation!!! He didn't give Bridger anything for pain either!!! 
So, Charlie feels like crap because of Daddy guilt (as you can imagine), Bridger hurts and doesn't understand why, and Mom gets to take care of it all!!! Happy New Year! My heart just breaks for that little guy though and how much he is hurting....that is the worst part. you want to be super mom and make it all disappear and sometimes you just feel so helpless....I guess that is where we learn to rely on our Heavenly Father though because he is the healer and can help all things!!!
We will keep you posted on our progress and we pray that Bridger does not have to endure surgery or pain that will last a long time....Happy New Year to all of You and I hope that for all of you your year has started off eventful and new but maybe not as eventful as ours!!!

6 comments:

TJ said...

Um...call and get some pain meds! Don't feel bad, When Brady was just barely one Chris was making me a mother's day dinner in the crockpot and had it plugged in to the bar....so I took Brady out of his high chair and set him down and sure enough, the minute my back turned, he had pulled that crockpot off the counter and was screaming..........he had 2nd degree burns on his legs and foot! it was a horrible Mother's day to say the least!(although I give Chris some blame...hee hee)

Cami said...

that really stinks but you know it is good to know that it happens to all of us with these little ones that are so busy and inquisitive! We took him to our pediatricians house last night and he wrote him a prescription for lortab....it is kind of handy having his pediatrician in our ward! By the times Charles got home with the meds he couldn't even sit still but after the meds he was able to sleep!!! Drugs are miracle workers sometimes...

Kristen said...

I'm sorry to hear about little Bridger. Please keep us updated.

Brett and AnnJillene said...

boy that makes for a stinky day. Before you know it he will be up around again. Let me know if you need anything. How is Charles doing?

Maran said...

Poor Bridger! (Also poor Charles!) It's good that you got something stronger than ibuprofin! I can't imagine having a broken leg and taking only ibuprofin!

Give Bridger a hug from us!

The Butterfields said...

So sad!