Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Cast For 3 Weeks...



Wednesday, Bridger had his appointment with our orthopedic surgeon. We of course had to wait a while to be seen and he wasn't very happy about that fact at all...he kept trying to get one of us to take him home! He is nobody's dummy, now is he? While we were waiting I was trying to distract him and I walked him over to the name placard where the doctor's names were posted. He immediately began pointing to all the letters and naming each one by name followed by their sounds. This is a normal occurrence for us at our house and didn't think anything of it until we turned around and a woman was just staring at us. She smiled and asked how old he was and I was able to tell her he just turned two a few months ago and she was in total shock that he knew all the letters of the alphabet and the sounds that each one made! It was a proud moment for a mommy.....after waiting we were taken back and they took new xrays to confirm the prior diagnosis and have a comparison for later. Brandon(he is a nurse practitioner and Dr.Bycks number one man in the office and O.R.)came in and said "well, his fibula looks just fine! It is not broken....the tibia however is broken!" So this adds to my fire about the insta care that we took Bridger to and the lack of care and competence that was at that clinic that day. The Tibia is the main support and largest bone below the knee and therefore will take a little longer to heal and explains why he has been hurting so much. How do you mistake which bone is broken? I mean really......uhhhhhhhh! okay there i vented:) I am just feeling blessed that we have a very competent orthopedic surgeon and his staff is competent as well. Here is a picture of Bridger getting his cast on.....Brandon gave him the choice of a blue cast or a red cast and held the package up for him to choose! He chose with such authority and decisiveness as he grabbed the blue package and said "RED ONE!!!" So while he may know his letters very well, I can see we need to work on colors!!! The bottom picture is how Bridger has spent the last week of his life! In the middle of the floor, surrounded by his toys and scooting on his bum to reach what he can't or what his brothers just won't get for him! He is training us all very well in how to get him just what he needs and I have the feeling that we will have to break some habits when he is all healed and back to his normal self...

3 comments:

TJ said...

Can you come teach my 4 year old all his letters!! AHHH, I guess I am a bad mom...LOL

Amy & Travis Parker said...

Cami!! I guess I should have checked your blog before I started writing messages on FB, now I know all the gory details. Gee I cant believe what idiots some doctors can be. And poor bridger! At least its not as bad as it could have been, sounds like it was a pretty nasty fall! Hope he gets better soon!

Maran said...

I'm glad he finally got a cast. Now hopefully he'll heal quickly. Perhaps you should write a letter to the practice that helped him originally.